The dream was to build a community curling rink that would be available to the residents of the community and for the students of Imperial School.
Centred around Imperial School in the Highland Park subdivision, a curling rink with 3 sheets of ice was constructed. The majority of the labour was generously volunteered by members of the community. The Imperial Curling Club was officially opened on the evening of February 4, 1954.
Having one of the two mixed leagues in the city, the Imperial Curling Club was a small, compact and friendly Club. One of the most popular leagues during the 1957-58 season was the elementary school loop which included students from Highland Park, Imperial and St. Michael's school.
The loss of members to other curling clubs in the city who had added artificial ice to their rinks led to a decision on November 4, 1958 to purchase an artificial ice plant. Again, the members volunteered their time and services to help reduce costs. An extension was added to house an ice plant. Members lost to other clubs subsequently returned.
On October 5, 1970, the Imperial Curling Club changed its name to the Highland Curling Club because of confusion with the town of Imperial. In 1974, the old curling rink was sold to the Kronau Curling Club of Kronau.
The new Highland Curling Club with six sheets of ice was officially opened on Saturday, November 29, 1975. Since then the Club has faced some financial adversity, but through the dedication of its members has survived and thrived.
The Highland Curling Club currently has full and active men's and ladies' night leagues, senior men's league, an afternoon ladies' league and a night mixed league. The Club also hosts several commercial leagues, beginners and youth programs, and weekend mini spiels. The Highland Curling Club provides the perfect mix of competitive curling and camaraderie.
The eighties and nineties marked a era of hosting successful competitions for the Club. The hosting of the Southern Scott Tournament in 1991, the Provincial Scott Tournament of Hearts in 1995 and the SaskTel Mobility Southern Men's Playdowns in 1998, were successful both financially and organizationally. Funds from these events have been invested in club improvements.
The most recent event hosted by the Highland was the Canadian Postal Playdowns which was held in April 2000. This event also was a very successful undertaking by the Club, which will result in more improvements to the Club in the upcoming year.
The Highland Curling Club continues to successfully host various city playdowns and the Regina Men's, Ladies' and Senior Men's Bonspiels.
October 1996 marked a milestone in the history of the Club. For the first time in many years the Club became mortgage free. The staff of the Club has continued to operate in an efficient and productive way benefiting all members and curlers.
The success of the Highland, from its humble beginning to the present day, can be attributed to the hard work of a devoted membership, coupled with and abiding faith in the grand old game of curling.